Images: Dance Lessons in Todos Santos, Mexico

Point your toes.

Keep your hands in the right place.

Look forward.

Smile.

I spent a few hours every week for many years of my adolescent and teenage life in dance lessons, and I’ve never forgotten the key components of a girl who shines on stage versus one who is a “wet noodle.” While other people on my press tour were off photographing churches and streetscapes in Todos Santos in Baja California, Mexico, I was drawn to this group of young girls who were practicing a dance on stage in a town square. The dance teacher offered some assistance on who needed to be where and when, but I could tell who knew the dance and who didn’t.

Some things are universal: Where there are dance classes, there are girls who shine and those who are wet noodles.

dancers in a line girl in mexico with skirt kids dancing in mexico girl in butterfly shirt girl holding yellow skirt girl dancer yawning dancing shoes girl in purple skirt girl in orange skirt kid dancers in mexico girl dancers girl dancing

18 Responses to “Images: Dance Lessons in Todos Santos, Mexico”

Thanks Julie! It was such a fun event to happen upon, and I loved the fact that I could relate with the situation.

1. Abby

I would love to take fun dance lessons right now lol. If only I had more time… I love their dresses!

They’re cute, aren’t they? I think this was some sort of dress rehearsal for a show in the square, possibly the next day or something.

I think I was more interesting to them than they were to me!

2. Jill

After being involved with dance for 25+ yrs I can tell, just from the pics, who knew the dance & who was just “there”! Love the colorful costumes!

Spaghetti arms are universal. I can definitely tell too!

3. Sherry Ott

Adorable!!! I think I was a wet noodle when I was a young girl taking jazz!

These girls were a lot of fun to photograph and watching them practice definitely took me back to my dancing days!

4. Turtle

Beautiful photos. I think you can tell which ones don’t know the dance without even watching them move – it’s the ones who are yawning, right?

Good guess! That’s a safe assumption!

5. Jeremy

Makes me want to start up my Salsa lessons again…and actually learn this time haha

Love it! Maybe one of these little girls could teach you how to get your groove on!

6. Paumg

This are all great pictures it reminds me of my tap and jazz lessons when I was living in Puerto Penasco.

It was such a fun event to bump into. I love moments like this when I travel!

7. Michelle Jerson

I love the experiences you share! You find the unique highlights of every story! The girls and dresses are adorable!

They are adorable, aren’t they, Michelle? Thanks for stopping by!