Tips for Traveling with Teens

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with big dreams and a desire to touch all seven continents. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com and at The 52 Letters Project.

1. GoNOLA says:

Awesome post on traveling with teens! That can be a bit difficult. New Orleans is a great place for the entire family and our site features a weekly “5 Things to do this Weekend in New Orleans” to help families find fun activities!

GoNOLA

• JoAnna says:

Thanks for your suggestions about family activities in New Orleans. It’s a great city, and I’d love to take teens there to explore its history and culture.

2. We have just entered the realm of holidays with a teenager and your list looks good. Giving each other space is a key one although ice cream still seems to solve most problems even for a teenager :)

3. Cheryl says:

Great tips. Vacation rentals are the #1 best idea for traveling with teens! They get their own space, plus [subtle] supervision by being in the same home. Then gather for family time in the kitchen & living room…perfect!

• JoAnna says:

We’re getting ready to book our next domestic vacation with a new foreign exchange student, and we never even considered booking a hotel room. We’re going with a vacation rental all the way!

4. Sally says:

Some great tips in here.

I think it really helps if they are involved in the planning. They are then more likely to enjoy rather than sulk.

• JoAnna says:

I also think people should give teenagers more credit. They are interested in doing certain things and they have opinions about the options available to them. I think parents should hear teens out; they may have great ideas and reasons for wanting to do particular activities.

5. Abby says:

You guys are probably some of the best host parents a student can ask for! When I was a teenager, I never wanted to travel alone with my family — letting them invite a friend I bet endears you to them forever.

6. These are some great tips — can’t even imagine what it would be like travelling with a teenager. I think getting them involved with the planning is one of the best. Thanks for sharing.

• JoAnna says:

We never anticipated traveling with teenagers either, but it turns out that we love it, especially with foreign exchange students. We’ve had a chance to revisit some of our favorite places with a new sense of wide-eyed wonder.

7. Adam Sommer says:

Great tips! We have also had great luck with involving kids in the planning process & inviting friends. Especially for weekend getaways, having a frioend along seems to make it much more exciting, and provides free entertainment :)

• JoAnna says:

The teens we’ve traveled with have been such good kids, it would never dawn on me not to let them invite a friend. Why not? It’s a win-win for everyone.