Horseback Riding in Iceland

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. Sandy Allain says:

Thank you for posting your story and experienced with Hobie, It’s great! I really love horse riding.

LOL! I’m sorry for laughing, but I had this exact same experience with my horse when I went horseback riding at Disney World. All he wanted to do was snack on the vegetation on either side of the trail. I was constantly trying to rein him back onto the trail.

• JoAnna says:

No worries about the laughter. I’m a disaster on horses. I don’t seem to bond well with them, so this was sort of what I was expecting.

3. Marsha says:

…shorter and more compact with wild locks…” These Icelandic horses sound a lot like me.…we’d probably get along great, except the last time I rode a horse I was 13. All told, sounds like you had fun. : )

4. JoAnna, your experience of riding an Icelandic horse is unique. The fact that your horse took off into the salad bar of Iceland (a grass-filled ditch) is NOT unique. Any horse, like students with substitute teachers, will test out the rider to see what they can get away with.

I’m glad you went horseback riding. This was a fun post to read.

• JoAnna says:

Well, my horse was one of the few to push the boundaries, and there were dozens of horses on that trip. I just generally have these kinds of experiences when it comes to horseback riding.

5. Gina says:

Haha, definitely sounds like Hobie had a mind of his own. I didn’t know about Icelandic horses before this post. They sound pretty cute — and stubborn. :)

• JoAnna says:

I get the feeling all horses are a little bit stubborn. I’m just not a horse whisperer, nor do I know how to connect with them. I think my luck might be isolated.

6. Kent Runolfson says:

As a horse breeder and also half Icelandic (All great grand parents on my fathers side immigrated from Iceland) I have curious about the Icelandic pony’s. Sounds like you got a real exciting introduction. I have heard that they have a gait similar to the Tennessee Walking horses— did you experience that?