Images: Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park | Utah

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. Emily S. says:

Those photos are gorgeous! I’d never heard of this place before…We love Utah, so we’ll have to add this one to our list!

• JoAnna says:

It’s just north of the Arizona border on the eastern part of the state, so it’s a drive from Las Vegas. If you plan well in advance (4 – 6 months), you can rent a room at the View Hotel, but it’s booked up months in advance, so plan ahead for the best experience.

2. Leigh says:

I’m heading to Escalante National Wilderness area in October and wish I had time to make it to Monument Valley. Lovely images.

• JoAnna says:

If you’re visiting Escalante, you’ll actually be quite close, relatively speaking, but Monument Valley is definitely out of the way, so you can’t just jaunt over there. Escalante is supposed to be AMAZING though! I’ve driven through but didn’t have the chance to stop. I’d love to hear your thoughts once you visit.

3. Deb says:

We’re doing a road trip to that are this summer, I’ll have to make sure that our route takes us through here!

• JoAnna says:

Well, there isn’t really a route that goes “through” there. You need to make a point to get there. But if you do, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the landscape and scenery. I know you like to take photos, and this is definitely a good place to do that!

4. I love the rugged scenery you’ve captured here with this photo essay!

• JoAnna says:

I agree! I wasn’t sure what to expect when we arrived, and, truthfully, I was a bit underwhelmed while we were there, but the longer I’ve been away, the more amazing I realize it was.

5. I am AMAZED at how much there is to see in that part of the US. I’ve travelled the four corners area several times. Something new and spectacular every time! Thanx for sharing :)

• JoAnna says:

I don’t think the desert Southwest gets the attention it deserves. It’s by far one of my favorite parts of the United States.

6. Abby says:

I can’t believe how far out they’re booked! Stunning photos. I love the desert. :)

• JoAnna says:

It didn’t ‘wow’ me as much when I was actually there, but it blows me away now that I look at the photos post-trip.

7. Looks gorgeous! Would love to visit here :) Reminds me of the outback

8. Sherry Ott says:

Love this area! Color! So much fun to do road trips there!

9. Turtle says:

I drove through Arizona and Utah once on the way somewhere else and kicked myself for not leaving more time to stop on the way. It looked like such a beautiful place. Your photos have just reminded me to try to get back there sometime!

• JoAnna says:

The Southwest is a big place, and a lot of people hit the biggies but miss a lot of little things. This one is hard to reach; you have to want to go there.