Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. Tim says:

I was in middle school class!! lol. I don’t think I understood the magnitude of the event.

• JoAnna says:

I get the feeling that a lot of people didn’t see it as a big event, but those in Oklahoma City definitely still look at it as a major disaster.

2. Amanda says:

I visited this museum/memorial with my sister last summer. It was an impromptu stop on a summer road trip, but one that I’m SO glad we made. I thought the museum was phenomenal, and did such a great job of getting its message across and telling the stories of those affected on that day. I recommend this to everyone I know who might be passing through Oklahoma City!

• JoAnna says:

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Amanda. I’m glad to hear that you’ve made the stop at the museum and that you enjoyed it. I thought it was really well done, and I recommend it to anyone stopping through.

3. Sophie says:

Oddly, I was on a flight out of Oklahoma City that day.

4. Abby says:

Nice post, JoAnna. I was a senior in high school. Maybe New Mexico was too close to Oklahoma, but I remember it too well, and hearing the “Murrah Building” makes me sick to my stomach. You’re so right about it being an abstract day though… I don’t remember the weather, or who I was with. I know that I was IN NYC, and my dad IN DC (and working at the Pentagon ugh), but I remember the hours of September 11 and the next few days with unbelievable clarity. And oh, how I wish I could forget.

5. Cam says:

April 19 is Nicole’s Birthday… I had no idea it shares a date with this sad day in humanity

6. Nice piece, and no, I don’t remember the 1995 date but remember 9/11 vividly just like you.

7. Turtle says:

Great piece. I often think about Oklahoma when I think about the way the US reacted after 9/11. There was such a backlash against the muslim community after the WTC attack, even though it was just a few radicals who committed the crime. But there was no similar backlash against white redneck Americans after Oklahoma.
    Both were terrible crimes and the people responsible deserved to be punished — but when you think about the two of them together it should influence the way you react.

• JoAnna says:

I agree with you, Turtle. I’ve done a lot of thinking about this since visiting the OKC Memorial, and it seems like such a shame to me that we’ve forgotten this tragedy. Kids learn about the 9/11 attacks in school, but that’s not the case with Oklahoma City’s terrorist attack.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I really appreciate it.