Images: Neon Boneyard | Las Vegas, Nevada

Some people say that Las Vegas has no history because city officials are quick to tear down anything that isn’t new, shiny and flashy. If it belongs to yesteryear, then it doesn’t belong in Las Vegas … or so the thought goes.

But everything ends up somewhere, and in Sin City, that place is the Neon Boneyard. Run officially by the non-profit organization that manages the Neon Museum, the Neon Boneyard is the showcase piece of all that has been in the city. Visiting the Neon Boneyard is complicated and requires an advanced reservation of at least two weeks and a required minimum donation of $15.00. Once inside, though, I think it’s easy to understand why it’s worth all the hassle.

It’s in this little corner of Las Vegas that history is stored. Have you ever wondered what happened to the giant genie lamp on the Aladdin, or where the old signs for the Golden Nugget ended up? What about all those motels that have closed, or neon images that have gone out of style and been replaced with something flashier?  They’re right here, in all their broken-bulbed glory. Rusty wire, busted glass, falling off bits of metal. This is where Las Vegas comes to die.

Playing pool A lovely lady A skull in the sky The lost art of cursive Voodoo Golden Nugget A peeking duck Cascading diamonds Broken letters

20 Responses to “Images: Neon Boneyard | Las Vegas, Nevada”

1. John

Wow I had no idea a place like that even existed. Is it hard to get reservations or are they readily available as long as you call in advance?

Hi John ~ It’s not a bad idea to call as soon as you know when you want to take a tour. The sooner you book, the better, but it shouldn’t be a problem to get in unless you’re coming over a busy holiday weekend. You will likely need your own transportation to reach the Boneyard, and for that reason alone, most people never put it on their agenda.

2. dtravelsround

Aww!! I am working a post similar to this! LOVE the Neon Boneyard. It is so photogenic!

I agree ~ super photogenic! It’s such a beautiful place.

3. Abby

Not sure if I can admit this, since I’ve supported it in sooo many ways and am a huge fan, but I’ve never been. 🙁

I can’t believe you’ve never been, Abby. It’s one of my favorite places in Las Vegas. I’m sure you’d love it!

• Craig

I’m with Abby, still need to get there. I love everything about it and this year I’m determined to visit.

You should definitely go, Craig. It’s worth visiting. I recommend it to everyone.

4. Sophie

Only in Las Vegas would you find something like this. Very cool!

What falls in Vegas, stays in Vegas …

5. Sabrina Chapman

Very Cool! I’ve always wanted to check this place out! Ever since I was a kid I’ve loved the old school bulbs and it I can only imagine how visually stimulating a visit must be. It’s def on my 2012 to do list now. Thanks JoAnna!

You’re welcome, Sabrina. There is no shortage of old school bulbs here!

Will I see it on your Pinterest board?

I’m sure you would, though they’re super picky about the kind of cameras you can take in.

6. Donna

My husband, our two children and I lived in Vegas for over 20 years and never knew about this place. Now we go to Vegas to sightsee and the Neon Boneyard is definitely on my list. Would like to get some more information on it. Thanks for all the great posts.

You’re welcome, Donna! I hope you enjoy the Neon Boneyard when you finally get a chance to visit.

7. Alanna

Terrific images, JoAnna! I love seeing how your style is developing.

Thanks Alanna. This is actually a pretty cool place to stop in Las Vegas, if you ever get the opportunity.