Images: South Rim of the Grand Canyon in Winter

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. Wow. It looks gorgeous in the winter! I’ve always wanted to go to a national park in the winter, but I would be too cold to camp, so finding accommodation near some of the parks is not easy in the winter. Great photos!

• JoAnna says:

We stayed in a little cabin on the South Rim, and it was only about $50/night. That’s how we spent Christmas, so it was worth the splurge to us.

2. Turtle says:

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen photos of it in winter before. How beautiful!

• JoAnna says:

They don’t often publish pictures of the Grand Canyon in the winter, which is a shame because it’s gorgeous, but maybe that’s the great secret.

3. Cam says:

Great pics Joanna! Looks chilly

4. Wow, I had no idea it snowed at the Grand Canyon. It looks amazing!

5. I love the diversity of shots and different perspectives — great photo essay!

• JoAnna says:

Thank you! We probably would have taken more photos if it wasn’t so cold, but tucking the camera away made the day a lot nicer too.

6. I have never been a fan of hordes of tourists, so the Grand Canyon in summertime has never held any appeal for me. But if going in the Winter allows you to avoid crowds and get awesome photos like this, I may need to reconsider!

• JoAnna says:

I’ve actually never been to the South Rim in the summer because there are so many people. I prefer the North Rim during the summer.

7. Abby says:

Gorgeous!!! Wow. I forget how beautiful snow can be. I never thought of the Grand Canyon as being a place of such intense snowfall.

• JoAnna says:

It’s at a fairly high elevation, so it’s not all that surprising when you consider that fact. The North Rim is actually 1,000 feet higher and so covered in snow it’s closed in the winter.

8. Carol says:

We will be at the Grand Canyon for Christmas. Can you please tell be about Christmas activities being held? Are there religious services at a church or chapel, carol singing at the lodges, etc.? Thank you

• JoAnna says:

Hi Carol ~ Sorry for the late response to your questions. I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Grand Canyon for Christmas. I would suggest that anyone who wants to know about special events the national parks should check the nps.gov website for details on the site, or contact the park directly. When we were at the Grand Canyon for Christmas, I remember there were special meals served at the lodge, and there were lots of holiday lights, but I don’t know for sure if there were specific caroling events or services.