Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

I’ve always been in awe of the gracefulness and colors of hot air balloons. I love the huge swaths of fabric sewn together to create bulbous rainbows. I love the moment when the balloons go from laying on their sides to standing straight up in the air. I love how, even though all the hot air balloons are basically floating in the same place, they all manage to capture their own piece of space and move at different speeds and in different patterns than those around them.

Though I’ve been a spectator and balloon chaser, it wasn’t until this year that I had the opportunity to actually ride in a hot air balloon at the Great Reno Balloon Race in Reno, Nevada. Though I’ve always loved the spectacle of hot air balloons from the ground, this year I also got to enjoy the view from a basket high in the sky. Here are some of my favorite images from the event.

Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

If you liked this post, you might also enjoy:

The following two tabs change content below.
Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada
JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with big dreams and a desire to touch all seven continents. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com and at The 52 Letters Project.

1. Abby says:

Amazing!! Hot air ballooning is so special to my hometown, but the one time I went, I was so scared. I love your pics!

2. Fantastic pictures! Was it scary? Are you going to the big balloon festival in New Mexico next month too?

3. Jill says:

Fabulous pics! Love the colors!

4. Deb says:

Gorgeous! I haven’t ridden a hot air balloon yet but it’s high on my list. Your photos are fantastic, well done!

5. JoAnna says:

Thanks, Abby! I had forgotten that you grew up in Albuquerque! I would love to check out its hot air balloon festival some day.

6. JoAnna says:

It wasn’t very scary at all, Jenna. I hope to write about it more in depth later, but I had to share my pictures right away! I can see how someone with vertigo might panic a bit, but I thought it was fun!

And, nope, no plans to hit up the Albuquerque festival at this time, though I’d like to some day.

7. JoAnna says:

It was SO beautiful, and with the morning sun, everything was just a bit more vivid. I loved the colors of the balloons!

8. JoAnna says:

Thanks, Deb! I had so much fun ~ highly recommended for an adventure junkie like you!

9. Sophie says:

Very cool photos, JoAnna. A ride in a hot air balloon is high on my list. It’s possible to do that at the Masai Mara, I once read. Wouldn’t it be excellent to view lions and elephants from above while floating silently by…

10. JoAnna says:

It was so much fun to ride in a hot air balloon, Sophie! And, yes, I did know you could do this in East Africa. In fact, it’s on my Life List to ride in a hot air balloon over the Serengeti, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

11. Emily S. says:

They do this in St. Louis every year, and it’s one of my favorite events!

12. JoAnna says:

Have you ridden in a hot air balloon. Emily?