Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. Abby says:

Amazing!! Hot air ballooning is so special to my hometown, but the one time I went, I was so scared. I love your pics!

• JoAnna says:

Thanks, Abby! I had forgotten that you grew up in Albuquerque! I would love to check out its hot air balloon festival some day.

2. Fantastic pictures! Was it scary? Are you going to the big balloon festival in New Mexico next month too?

• JoAnna says:

It wasn’t very scary at all, Jenna. I hope to write about it more in depth later, but I had to share my pictures right away! I can see how someone with vertigo might panic a bit, but I thought it was fun!

And, nope, no plans to hit up the Albuquerque festival at this time, though I’d like to some day.

3. Jill says:

Fabulous pics! Love the colors!

4. Deb says:

Gorgeous! I haven’t ridden a hot air balloon yet but it’s high on my list. Your photos are fantastic, well done!

5. Sophie says:

Very cool photos, JoAnna. A ride in a hot air balloon is high on my list. It’s possible to do that at the Masai Mara, I once read. Wouldn’t it be excellent to view lions and elephants from above while floating silently by…

• JoAnna says:

It was so much fun to ride in a hot air balloon, Sophie! And, yes, I did know you could do this in East Africa. In fact, it’s on my Life List to ride in a hot air balloon over the Serengeti, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

6. Emily S. says:

They do this in St. Louis every year, and it’s one of my favorite events!