Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada

I’ve always been in awe of the gracefulness and colors of hot air balloons. I love the huge swaths of fabric sewn together to create bulbous rainbows. I love the moment when the balloons go from laying on their sides to standing straight up in the air. I love how, even though all the hot air balloons are basically floating in the same place, they all manage to capture their own piece of space and move at different speeds and in different patterns than those around them.

Though I’ve been a spectator and balloon chaser, it wasn’t until this year that I had the opportunity to actually ride in a hot air balloon at the Great Reno Balloon Race in Reno, Nevada. Though I’ve always loved the spectacle of hot air balloons from the ground, this year I also got to enjoy the view from a basket high in the sky. Here are some of my favorite images from the event.

Great Reno Balloon Race Balloon

Balloon at Great Reno Balloon Race

Great Reno Balloon Race Hot Air Balloons

Balloons at Great Reno Balloon Race Nevada

Colorful balloons at Great Reno Balloon Race

Hot air balloons at Great Reno Balloon Race Nevada

Hot air balloons great reno balloon race nevada

Balloons at the Great Reno Balloon Race

Hot air balloons on the ground Great Reno Balloon Race

12 Responses to “Images: Great Reno Balloon Race | Reno, Nevada”

1. Abby

Amazing!! Hot air ballooning is so special to my hometown, but the one time I went, I was so scared. I love your pics!

Thanks, Abby! I had forgotten that you grew up in Albuquerque! I would love to check out its hot air balloon festival some day.

2. Jenna Vandenberg

Fantastic pictures! Was it scary? Are you going to the big balloon festival in New Mexico next month too?

It wasn’t very scary at all, Jenna. I hope to write about it more in depth later, but I had to share my pictures right away! I can see how someone with vertigo might panic a bit, but I thought it was fun!

And, nope, no plans to hit up the Albuquerque festival at this time, though I’d like to some day.

3. Jill

Fabulous pics! Love the colors!

It was SO beautiful, and with the morning sun, everything was just a bit more vivid. I loved the colors of the balloons!

4. Deb

Gorgeous! I haven’t ridden a hot air balloon yet but it’s high on my list. Your photos are fantastic, well done!

Thanks, Deb! I had so much fun ~ highly recommended for an adventure junkie like you!

5. Sophie

Very cool photos, JoAnna. A ride in a hot air balloon is high on my list. It’s possible to do that at the Masai Mara, I once read. Wouldn’t it be excellent to view lions and elephants from above while floating silently by…

It was so much fun to ride in a hot air balloon, Sophie! And, yes, I did know you could do this in East Africa. In fact, it’s on my Life List to ride in a hot air balloon over the Serengeti, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

6. Emily S.

They do this in St. Louis every year, and it’s one of my favorite events!

Have you ridden in a hot air balloon. Emily?