Visiting the Distillery District in Toronto, Canada

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. Kirsten says:

I was just there a few weeks ago for a photoshoot and I really loved it there!

2. Natalie T. says:

Cute article! The distillery is great, especially on weekends in the summer as the artisans are out on the cobblestones selling jewllery/art. There was also a big food truck event here this summer as well. It’s wedding mecca there but it’s a fun area that is distinctly Torontonian. Glad you liked it and let me know if/when you are in TO next!

3. Kayla says:

Great post! I found you through the Carnival of Cities.

The Distillery District is one of my favourite places and is such a great heritage success story. The buildings have been wonderfully preserved, yet it such a lively and growing place. A great example that historic preservation does not necessarily create a static place.

• JoAnna says:

I was pleasantly surprised by the Distillery District. I know a lot of places have tried to revitalize old industrial areas without much luck, so it was exciting to see that this one is actually succeeding.

4. Millicent says:

Thank-you for the lovely article about the Distillery. I have had a studio there for over 4 years and still find it such an inspiring place to be. The art studios sometimes get overlooked. Thanks for finding us!

• JoAnna says:

What a nice surprise to see you here, Millicent! We absolutely loved Toronto — and the Distillery District was definitely a highlight of the city for us!

5. I’m glad you loved the Distillery District! If you happen to visit Toronto in December (okay, it’s not the best time to visit due to the cold weather); however, the Distillery has an amazing traditional European-style Christmas market with wandering carollers, an outdoor craft and food market, Santa Claus, choirs and bands performing seasonal music and an enormous Christmas tree.

• JoAnna says:

I loved Toronto so much when I was there that I asked some locals what the catch was — what made it not exactly perfect? — and they told me that the winter weather can be pretty brutal. That said, I’d love to check this place out in the winter.

1. September 20, 2011

[…] presents Visiting the Distillery District in Toronto, Canada posted at Kaleidoscopic Wandering, saying, “I loved the atmosphere and people I encountered […]