The Tumunu Tradition — Cook Islands

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with big dreams and a desire to touch all seven continents. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com and at The 52 Letters Project.

1. Carrie says:

That first photo is great, JoAnna. What a cute little open air bush pub! It’s experiences like these that really make travel meaningful for me. (Not so much the drinking part, but just the opportunity to sit and absorb local culture in such an out-of-the-way area.) Judging from the stories and images you’ve recently posted on the Cook Islands, I can tell you really enjoyed your time there!

• JoAnna says:

I really did love it, Carrie. I’ve never been anywhere that I can even really compare with the Cook Islands. I’ve got a lot more posts coming on it, so stay tuned!

Neat experience. Totally unsanitary, but neat.

3. Rad. This is so rad. It’s one of those things that I’m like, ‘that is so rad, i wish that was me!’ — thank you! That is what good travel writing should feel like.

4. leland hix says:

not your frosty summer shandy.….but the experience would have been worth a whole lot more.…thanks for sharing

• JoAnna says:

It was an amazing experience ~ I would take bush brew over bottled brew any day, and not for the booze, but for the experience.

5. Candice says:

Oh I love this story, how cool! Sometimes you meet the best of characters inside pubs.

6. Ron Rutler says:

Awesome story JoAnna. I felt like I was sitting there in the bush pub, passing the coconut and frankly,I wish that I was. That had to be a totally relaxing,fun cultural experience, once you got over the first, I’m not sure that I want to drink that feeling. I would love a place like that. So Cool. Ron Rutler

• JoAnna says:

There are definitely worse places to be than passing around a coconut in a bush pub! Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Ron. :)

7. Marlin Pokoina says:

I just happened to come across your blog whilst looking for an old kuki song. I really enjoyed reading your experiences especially since I haven’t been back in over 9 years. Meitaki atupaka for sharing.
    P.S E ta’uri’uri nei au kua akarongorongo i to ratou imene’anga: I sway from side to side when I hear them sing, especially the old songs!

• JoAnna says:

Thanks for stopping by, Marlin! I’m glad you enjoyed this post. I really loved the Cook Islands, and I treasure the time I spent there.