How to Travel in Your Own Backyard

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. Laura says:

I have been trying to be more of a tourist in my hometown for the past year or so and it’s been great! You list some really helpful ideas in this post and I would encourage others to try them out. I’ve discovered so many new things in Pittsburgh and met so many interesting people.

• JoAnna says:

I love discovering things in my hometown. Granted, I live in a popular tourist destination, so there’s a lot to do, but taking advantage of all of those things makes the city a different place.

• Pola says:

I agree, Laura! One of my fav things to do is pick a neighborhood and just go and explore. Since I live in Chicago, which has such a variety of neighborhoods, it’s not difficult to do.

2. Rebecca says:

Great ideas guys!

3. Trisha says:

This is good advice for everyone.…..we occasionally have family or friends come to visit, and by staying up on what’s going on around town it makes it so much easier to entertain them and help them plan what they want to do and see during their stay. :-)

4. Pola says:

Great piece! It’s interesting to see another travel blogger take on a similar subject (I wrote my ‘version’ not too long ago http://bit.ly/fQKloW). I love that you mentioned volunteering, it’s not something that came to my mind right away. And yes — local businesses, that’s so important!!

• JoAnna says:

I think local travel is often overlooked by a lot of people. I’m glad to see you’re writing about the subject as well! :)

5. Ethan Gelber says:

Great topic. Glad to see that you’ve given it attention and that others have surfaced who have done the same. However, while still not quite a mainstream consideration, it is certainly far less overlooked than you might imagine. In face, there is a whole growing ‘movement’ committed to the idea of Local Travel — see http://www.localtravelmovement.com — that seems to be catching on… slowly but surely.

6. Pete says:

Excellent! About a half a year ago a friend of ours made a comment that we know all these other countries more than we know our own. We took it to heart and when we briefly returned home (for my brother’s wedding) we made it a priority to explore ‘our own backyard’. It was awesome! Cheers!