Tips for Staying Eco-Friendly in Hotels

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with big dreams and a desire to touch all seven continents. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com and at The 52 Letters Project.

1. Abbie says:

These are great tips! It does make me happy to see that many more chain hotels are at least making an effort by posting signs asking people to hang up towels they want to reuse and throw dirty ones on the floor.

• JoAnna says:

I agree! It’s definitely a step in the right direction. Now, if only more would start offering amenities in refillable bottles versus plastic ones!

Excellent tips, JoAnna. I have gotten into the habit of keeping housekeeping out of my room, too. With all the supplies they stock in the average hotel room, I’m all set for the duration of my stay. I reuse the same towels at home for a week – why not in my hotel room?

3. Laura says:

Great tips! I can’t stand when people leave the lights on when they leave the room. It’s so easy to just switch them off!

4. Alicia says:

This is an amazing move for the hotel industry. I believe having this going Eco-friendly drive is a very important drive for them especially so that we are actually facing a very serious problem with our ecosystem. I just hope this will be successfully implemented in the near future.

• JoAnna says:

I agree, Alicia. I think more people are demanding that businesses working in the hospitality industry step up and take responsibility for their actions when it comes to the environment, but I also think that guests at hotels can do a lot to address that issue as well, which is why I wrote this post. It’s a two-way street, and I think that if both the hotels and visitors at those hotels do their part to help address the environmental issue, the earth will be a better place for it.

5. Joanna says:

This is a good list! Sometimes staying in hotels makes people take longer showers, leave the TV on, and be more wasteful than they normally would at home, because they don’t feel accountable to anyone. Just keeping these thoughts in mind helps a lot, I think.

• JoAnna says:

I agree! Some people tend to leave their sense of responsibility at home, but it’s not that hard to shut off the lights or reuse your towel, just like you would at home.

6. Tessha says:

Nice one JoAnna :) And another tip — use only one garbage can in the room if they are plastic bag lined — rather than spreading your small ammount of trash between 2 or 3 bins. That saves on plastic bin liners.

• JoAnna says:

Great tip regarding the garbage cans, Tessha. And thanks for the nudge to get this post written! It’s such an important topic.

1. April 18, 2011

[…] Haugen lists some great Tips for Staying Eco-Friendly in Hotels over on her site, Kaleidoscopic Wandering.  What I like most about her tips is that they are so […]