A Day in Seoul, South Korea

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with big dreams and a desire to touch all seven continents. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com and at The 52 Letters Project.

1. its great you had something to do during your layaway, i hate waiting in an airport

2. meli says:

WOW! I cannot wait to go and visit and have me some beef bulgogi,seaweed, and bean sprouts! Sounds like an amazing little adventure. It is cool that they have tour people at the airport!

• JoAnna says:

The concept of having day tour companies at an international airport is brilliant, I think. I hope to get a post up soon about the company at Incheon and the other tours it offers. Check back!

What a great idea for long layovers! I wonder if other airports do that? Everything I read about Seoul makes it sound like a terrific city to visit.

• JoAnna says:

Seoul was fantastic ~ I can definitely understand why my husband loves it so much. I can’t wait to go back!

I’m not sure if other airports offer a day tour service like Incheon does, but they definitely should!

4. Leigh says:

I did exactly the same tour on a layover. What a treat it was to get away from the airport. And the 6 or so hours I had in Seoul gave me a much better impression of the country than I had beforehand.
    I agree — other airports the world offer — should offer short but worthwhile tours.

• JoAnna says:

I totally agree with you, Leigh. The tour was a great way to get out of the airport. I actually have a post specifically about the tour company going up next week just because I think the concept is such a great idea.

5. Leigh says:

the world over — not offer — oops.

6. Joel Tillman says:

I just got back stateside from teaching in South Korea for a year. On vacation I spent some time on Jeju exploring the beautiful island.

Where did you go when you went to Jeju? Have you ever thought of going back?

• JoAnna says:

I mainly stayed in the main city center on the island, though we did make our way to the beach one night where we saw the famed divers. I would absolutely love to go back to Jeju ~ I had a fantastic time!

7. Joel Tillman says:

If you ever go back make sure you visit the Southern city of the island. They have some wonderful waterfalls and crystal blue water flowing off the of mountain for you to swim in (beware, it’s cold though!) I think we paid 10,000 Won a night for a hostel there.

What are the famed divers?

8. Joel Tillman says:

Oh wow. Crazy.

Thanks for sharing that with me. Next time I go back I need to visit that museum and try to see them diving.

• JoAnna says:

It was a complete fluke that we saw them. I’m not sure if there’s a schedule or anything, but if you do happen to run into them, it’s very, very cool!

9. jennifer says:

Hello,

I would like to ask, how many hours was this day tour?

Thanks:D

• JoAnna says:

This particular tour was 10 hours, I believe, but the company offered about a dozen different tours, each of varying lengths of time. I think the shortest one was three hours.

10. jennifer says:

are the places you’ve mention above as part of the tour far from each other?:D

• JoAnna says:

Each of the tours has sites and stops that are close to each other. It wouldn’t make sense to run all over the city at places that weren’t at least relatively close to each other. The tour company knows that it has to get people back to the airport in time for their flights.

11. Javie says:

Great article! I am looking forward to doing this next year on a vacation trip. Some of the travel agency sites said that they needed at least 2 persons for the tour, some at least 4. If I was traveling alone, could I just join with other groups interested with the same tour? Thanks!

• JoAnna says:

You are right; some of these tours require a minimum number of people. However, I was traveling alone, and there were about 15 other people on my tour, so filling a tour with random people definitely didn’t seem to be a problem. You can book a spot, and they’ll let you now if it’s going to be full or not. If your chosen tour doesn’t fill up, there are other tour options, so you can always switch to another one that has more people confirmed.