Thoughts from Rockefeller Center | New York City

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with big dreams and a desire to touch all seven continents. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com and at The 52 Letters Project.

1. Akila says:

Gorgeous post. I always love looking around at people in popular places and watching take pictures of themselves.

Great observation that sometimes, it’s more entertaining just to observe people than to observe the tourist attraction itself.

3. Alouise says:

Great post. When my mom and I went up to Top Of The Rock she had me do the squeeze The Empire State Building trick.… it felt pretty cheesy to do it. Truthfully if I’d gone by myself I would’ve been content to not do it.

• JoAnna says:

I’d love to see the picture of you squeezing the Empire State Building. It is so funny to watch people do this!

I have to admit that I’ve never done one of those weird holding / balancing on / leaning against types of photos. I should start collecting them!

4. Jill says:

Ahhh…NYC. In so many ways it is still the same place it was 50 years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised to find binoculars that have been there that long! But I’ll bet the price has gone up from 10 cents!

• JoAnna says:

It’s actually pretty expensive to get to the Top of the Rock (in my opinion). Luckily the folks at NYC’s tourism office wanted travel bloggers to check it out, so I didn’t have to foot the bill on this one.

5. Lovely post! I didn’t make it to the top of Rockefeller Center, but your story makes me feel as if I did. :-)

6. Sabina says:

Nice observations, JoAnna. It seems like you felt cozy and quite at home right where you were.

7. City Zen says:

I loved your in-the-minute sensations and observations. Well done! Makes me want to read more of your writing.