Thoughts on the Desert | A Walk in Joshua Tree National Park

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. Jen Laceda says:

My dad bought a plot of land close to Joshua Tree NP some 20 years ago. The land basically looks like an arid desert land :) Perhaps it’s time for me to take a visit there.

• JoAnna says:

@Jen ~ It’s the kind of place you have to experience to truly appreciate. I hope you make it out some day soon!

2. Abbie says:

Yay! I’m one of those friends :)

3. I absolutely love your description of the heat — despite how harsh the climate is, I have always, always wanted to visit here!

• JoAnna says:

Do it! It’s a really fantastic park. There’s a lot of bouldering and climbing. I’m more of a hiker myself, and there are a ton of trails to wander along here. If you happen to go through Mojave National Preserve on your way to or from the park, there’s a crazy chloride lake between Joshua Tree and Mojave that you’ve got to see to believe.

4. Shannon OD says:

I have really been thinking about making a trip out to Joshua Tree in when I head back to LA for a month-long visit — friends have come back with tales of the inspiring solitude; your post may very well inspire me to make the trip to Joshua Tree actually happen now :-)

• JoAnna says:

Do it! The drive from L.A. is barely two hours. After a couple weeks in L.A., you might want to escape to the desert for a day or two anyway!

5. Maggie says:

I’m lucky enough to live near Joshua Tree and spend many weekends exploring it. After five years here, I still haven’t seen it all — the park is bigger than Rhode Island! — and the beauty of the high desert is always shifting and changing. It’s one of my favorite places on earth.

Thanks for the lovely post.

• JoAnna says:

You’re welcome … thanks for commenting.

So many people dislike the desert for whatever reason, so it’s great to hear that after five years of wandering through Joshua Tree, you still find things to discover. I feel that way about Death Valley too.