Food of Huatulco | Oaxaca, Mexico

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. Interesting. The breakfast does sound fun, but I can imagine that getting old pretty quickly.

Haven’t had Mezcal but do love a round of tequila, so will make note for my next visit =)

2. Sabina says:

I adore seafood. And man, you take really good photos.

Mmm, it all sounds quite wonderful.…except for the grasshoppers. I just don’t think I could ever mentally get beyond the fact of what they are.

• JoAnna says:

@Andy ~ I’m not much of a hard alcohol fan myself, but I did take a shot and it felt like a healthy, burning dose of tequila. If you get the chance to try it, let me know what you think.

@Sabina ~ I heart seafood too. It’s probably the one big downside of living in the desert. :)

@Gray ~ I had the same thought about the grasshoppers, but I had to get over it and try them. How could I not? Honestly, they really tasted pretty good, but you’re right, they’re still grasshoppers.

4. Sounds like a pretty glorious culinary journey through Huatulco. I’ve been in Asia for over a year now and missing some the delights from Mexico. I could really go for that seafood platter!

5. Candice says:

Oh man, I miss the guacamole! SO GOOD. You actually made grasshoppers sound appetizing…big props to that.

• JoAnna says:

Yeah … Mexican food doesn’t get much more authentic. And I really would try those grasshoppers again.

6. Billy says:

I was in Huatulco last August and had the best meals!!
    There is a place called Los Bocanos right off the main road past the hotels area gon south. It is a small neighborhood that ends at a lovely each. There is a river runoff into the ocean just 100 yards away. There is a restaraunt on the beach that serves Australian Blue Claw crawfish. They are very large and have a great taste and the texture of lobster. They are a freshwater species that they get out of the river. The most laid back place in the world. My idea of paradise.

• JoAnna says:

Thanks for the tip on Los Bocanos. I’ll have to check it out next time I’m in Huatulco.

I agree … the seafood there is definitely among the best I’ve ever had!