5 Questions with a Cruise Travel Guide

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. There are some really great jobs in the travel industry, and often the turnover is high as people move on to other life obligations, so anyone who loves to travel and has the freedom to do so should definitely consider it.

2. JoAnna says:

@Trisha ~ For what it’s worth, Ian told me that Holland America is looking for a couple more cruise travel guides. He told me to pass along interested and qualified parties. I admit, I considered throwing my name in.

3. What a great job! I always wondered who took care of all of the itineraries for cruise ship guests. Thanks, JoAnna.

That does sound like a great job. If you could get used to being on a cruise ship all the time. I think I could live with it for awhile.

5. Abbie says:

I love this post! I would’ve never thought to interview a tour guide… things to keep in mind ;)

6. Jen Laceda says:

Seems like a great job! It’s probably a job I’d love to do in another life (lol!) But in this life, I chose to have a family, and I reckon it’s difficult to maintain a ‘normal’ family life with such a career — lots of travelling! So, kudos! to Ian for making his choice in life, following his dream, and sticking to it!

7. Mary R says:

JoAnna,
    Go for it! Then let us all know how it goes living and traveling on a ship.

It’s appealing to me too, but I prefer to spend long amounts of time in one place. I need to make a home for myself, even if it’s as short as a week or two.

8. brian says:

Dream job is right! The fact that he get off 3 – 4 weeks before another contract is a plus. Amazing how people just fall into the most incredible opportunities.

Office hours, I like that…

9. I don’t think there’s a better job than this. Of course it takes hell lot of responsibilities but at the same its an opportunity to travel across the world with you being paid.

• JoAnna says:

I can tell you that Ian really loved his job, and I have to admit, it sounds a little bit like a dream to me.

10. Carlo says:

Great interview…just goes to show you there are so many avenues to pursue that have a travel slant. You just have to be creative. Although, I respectfully disagree about Vietnam!

11. James says:

@JoAnna I have recently applied to an open position as a Travel Guide with Holland America. Is there any information you would be willing to help me with? If I could get in contact with Ian that would be fantastic. Thanks!

12. Don and Cheri Briggs says:

JoAnna,
    We have cruised two Transatlantics on the Eurodam. Ian Page is a great wealth of information. He has advised us on every Port and even met everyone who has questions as we leave the ship.
    We found this plaque last week in Daytona Beach and had to put it in our room of “Trip Pictures”. We always pick two pictures from every trip and put them on the wall. They are the moments that “Take our breath away”. Please forward this to Ian. I cannot find an email for him.

I can’t attach the picture to this, send an email address please.