24 Creative Uses for a Sarong

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with a global family of foreign exchange students and rescue pets. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com.

1. I was slightly disappointed you didn’t include “Use it as a roof for a make-shift hotel room fort”, but then I saw #13, which is basically a sophisticated version of that. :)

2. Shannon OD says:

Love it! And I can’t even think of a new one too add, try as I might :-) I added one half-way through my trip and couldn’t believe I went that long without it!

3. Candice says:

Hahaha, love #24. I was recently digging through a suitcase and found a pile of dirty laundry I had left there from the summer. Blech!

4. brian says:

No need for a sarong for me, but think this post is great. Will Retweet and Stumble!

5. Sonia says:

Brilliant! I heartily concur with all of these, and have one more to add. Recently we were couchsurfing with someone who’d hung a chin-up bar in the guest bedroom doorway. It was low enough that we banged our heads on it once or twice, until I tied a bright yellow sarong to the middle as a warning flag! No more skull-bashings. :)

6. Nancu says:

Great tips. I, too, agonize over a single pair of socks or whether or not to bring a jacket. A sarong will be in the next bag I pack now-you’ve convinced me! :)

Believe it or not, I have never owned a sarong. They weren’t big in Vermont when I was growing up and I’m not the type to follow fashion trends, so I missed when they did become popular here. Seeing how flexible they are, though, now I’m going to have to buy one. Thanks for the tips!

8. Peter says:

You can also use it as a cooler for short trips. Make a bag out of it, stuff in some drinks and ice.

9. Ekua says:

Nice tips! I’m already a believer in sarongs, but there are a few new tips here I think I can use.