Swimming with the Dolphins | Roatan, Honduras

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with big dreams and a desire to touch all seven continents. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com and at The 52 Letters Project.

1. Cory says:

I am still very jealous of your dolphin experience.

2. Lisa says:

Great story! We were planning on vacationing at Anthony’s Key several years ago, but a hurricane had other plans ;-), it’s still high on the list of “must visits” though. Love hearing about the dolphins at play!

3. Zorianna Kit says:

So nice to read your experience on this, Joanna!

That just rocks. I’m so jealous. I can only imagine how cool that must have been to be swimming and playing with them – and not because some trainer was telling them what to do, but at their own initiative. Sweet.

5. Shannon OD says:

Wow, as much as you say that you wouldn’t do the “organized encounter” again — you have me sold. That just sounds so amazing at the end when you got to swim with them! And the pic of him kissing you is too cute :-)

6. Lola says:

What an experience! You can definitely check this off the list :)
    The kissing picture is a classic. Can imagine it in sepia tones.

7. Candice says:

I did this while in Mexico, except in not such a large area, and with only two dolphins! I love that you played catch. So cool.

8. Nancy says:

Even with it being an organized encounter, what an incredible experience! That picture with the dolphin may be my favorite one of you I´ve seen. :) Very cool.

9. Chris says:

Amazing experience! In Australia (Tin Can Bay )every day at 8am there are two wild dolphins that came ashore to get some food from the rangers; unfortunately you can not swim with them.

10. Amiee says:

That photo of you and the dolphin is so cute — I love it. I have heard Roatan is amazing — another place I would like to see!

11. I swam with dolphins in a rehabilitation center in the Florida Keys about 10 years ago. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life to date. Such sweet and amazing creatures :) I’m so glad you had the opportunity to do it as well!

12. Abby says:

You look SO happy in that top photo!!

13. Sophie says:

My 10-year-old daughter did this in Mexico earlier this year. She adored it, of course.

14. So cool! I would love to do this. And, that photo of you is so adorable!

15. Swimming with dolphins is such an amazing experience. Sounds like you had a great time despite the rainy weather.

• JoAnna says:

It was a good experience. I know swimming with dolphins is very controversial, but I felt good about this facility in comparison to others I’ve encountered in the past.