Walking in the Footsteps of History | San Antonio, Texas

JoAnna is a globe-trotting, idea-inventing, culture-collecting creativity connoisseur with big dreams and a desire to touch all seven continents. You can also find JoAnna at joannahaugen.com and at The 52 Letters Project.

Nice article, JoAnna. I’m with you – I love the big draws like the Alamo as much as the next person, but when the crowds get to be a bit too much, it’s good to retreat to the lesser-known places that don’t have as much foot traffic, but have the same rich history. One of these days, I need to make it to San Antonio. I’ll definitely visit the missions. Thanks for sharing!

2. Teri B says:

Enjoyed your commentary on the missions. I live in San Antonio are and agree that the less known missions are a very interesting part of history and outshine the Alamo in many ways. Whenever I advise tourists at my RV Park I always mention the Missions and their rich place in history.

3. Sarah V. says:

I agree with Teri B. We have family coming into town for the holidays, and I’ll be recommending a visit to the missions.

Great article, JoAnna!

4. Alanna says:

Did you come to San Antonio and not come see me?? I still haven’t gotten to check out the missions, but your article makes me reaffirm the need to do so. If you get a chance to head to Tucson at some point– the San Xavier Mission is just beautiful.

5. Aunt Janet says:

I enjoyed your article on San Antonio. Unkie Hal and I were there in 1986 when we went to see Todd in Mountain View, CA. We went on the River Walk and the Alamo. You and Corey have a nice Thanksgiving.
    Love, Aunt Janet

6. Abby says:

I love that you saw more of San Antonio than the Alamo. It’s such a great town with a ton of important history.

• JoAnna says:

If I ever went back, I’d visit the other missions again, but chances are I’d skip the Alamo. It’s just not worth all the crowds.

7. Laura says:

The mission history in Texas is super interesting. I only got to spend one day in San Antonio and never made it to any of these other missions but they look like neat places to explore. Something for my list for next time!